A spin bike is a good investment especially for those who want to maintain a healthy lifestyle. The challenge is what spinning bike to buy and what to choose. If you are planning to make this important purchase, then it is essential to go through the best spin bikes for 2018.
The reviews will help you decide what make and model to buy, as well as know the pros and cons for each.
It could be a bit challenging to decide on what spin bike to buy. This is understandable given that; there are many choices in the market nowadays.
They vary when it comes to characteristics and price. After all, different bikes are suitable for various types of cyclists.
It is important that you purchase the right bike depending on the intensity of the workout that you need.
Professional athletes can benefit from bikes with higher resistance levels. For those who only want a simple exercise or cardio workout, they might have to look for a different type of bike. Many comprehensive spin bike reviews will let you know more about what bike to buy.
- Best Spin Bikes 2018
- 1. Sunny Health and Fitness Indoor Cycling Bike (Pink)
- 2. Schwinn IC2
- 3. Sunny SF-B1110
- 4. Sunny SF-B1001
- 5. Sole Fitness SB700 – Best Spin Bikes for Commercial & Home Use
- 6. Sunny SF-B1002
- 7. Sunny SF-B901 Pro
- What to Look for In a Spin Bike?
- Things to Consider when Buying a Spin Bike
Why is a stationary bike called a spin bike? It is because “spinning” is a word used for the act of working out with the utilization of an indoor machine. Since this type of bike is used indoor, it is also known as a spin bike.
Best Spin Bikes 2018
How are you able to decide on what the best spinning bike to buy? The reviews will only serve as your guide. It will highly depend on what kind of cardio training that you do, and what suits you best.
|Product name||Flywheel weight||Price||Rating|
|Sunny Health & Fitness Indoor Cycle Trainer||22 Pounds||$||4.4|
|Schwinn IC2 Bike||31 Pounds||$$||4.0|
|Sunny Health & Fitness SF-B1110 Indoor Cycling Bike||44 Pounds||$$||4.3|
|Sunny SF-B1001 Indoor Cycling Bike||30 Pounds||$||4.2|
|Sole Fitness SB700 Exercise Bike||48 Pounds||$$$$||4.2|
|Sunny SF-B1002||49 Pounds||$$||4.3|
|Sunny SF-B901 Pro||40 Pounds||$||4.3|
Included in the matrix are 4 columns:
- Product name – Spin bike brand and name/model
- Flywheel weight – Flywheel weight in pounds
- Price – Approximate prices based on Amazon.com. These change sometimes based on availability, special promotions, and more. But generally speaking: $ = under $300, $$ = $300 to $500, $$$ = $500 to $1000, $$$$ = $1000+
- Rating – The average user rating on Amazon.com. This can be very useful in deciding if people are satisfied with the purchase.
1. Sunny Health and Fitness Indoor Cycling Bike (Pink)
With the busy life schedules, it is becoming more difficult for most people to spare even a couple of hours to go to the gym.
The only option available for this group of people is to workout at home and for this you need a reliable spin bike like the Sunny Health and Fitness Indoor Cycling Bike (Pink).
With this bike, you can be assured of a compelling and dependable home exercise equipment. Besides from being manufactured by one of the most reputable names in the industry this bike has been used and tested for quite some time now, and so you can be assured that you will be getting a bike with a proven track record.
And with the many features in this bike your home exercising will be more efficient and productive once you start using it.
- Steel Frame and Heavy-Duty Crank. The steel frame construction and a heavy duty crank fitted in this bike will ensure firmness during a workout and also that you get to use it for a long time.
- Chain Drive. Chain drive mechanism that this bike uses ensures that you get a smooth and quiet spin. In fact, you would hardly hear the bike make any sound when spinning.
- Adjustable Resistance. Working out requires different intensities for maximum effectiveness. This bike comes with an adjustable resistance to make it possible for you to vary the level of resistance.
- Adjustable Seat. With this spinning bike you can be able to adjust the height of the seat to ensure maximum comfort when exercising.
- Console Display. Any workout cannot be effective without monitoring important things like speed and distance. And so this bike comes fitted with a console screen that lets you keep track of speed, distance, ODO, time and calories burned.
- 22 Pound Flywheel. This flywheel is not very heavy especially when compared to other bikes, but it is heavy enough to ensure sturdiness when working out.
- Maximum User Weight. The Sunny Pink can comfortably handle people that weigh up to 240 pounds.
- Pedals. It is fitted with standard pedals that have straps to hold your legs in place when spinning the bike.
- Handlebars. There is nothing fancy about the handlebars since they are just ordinary or standard spin bike handlebars.
With all things considered this is a fantastic bike as it is has a quality frame and it is also packed with many important features. Despite its limiting weight capacity, you will not find anything better at the same price.
2. Schwinn IC2
Schwinn has been manufacturing bicycles for more than a century, and so you can be assured that they know everything there is to know about bicycles.
In 1966, the company ventured into the manufacture of workout equipment and so Schwinn IC2 Indoor Cycling Bike and their other spin bikes are a result of 50 years of work.
The Schwinn IC2 is an amazing indoor exercise bike that comes with all the essential features that any spin bike should have. Although it is similar to most other bikes in the same price range the presence of a console in this bike is what sets it apart from the others.
The console is a simple computer that has an LCD screen. This computer can easily attach to the handlebars and hence making it possible for you to monitor your exercise.
- Drive Type. Schwinn IC2 uses a chain drive that is almost similar to what you would find in an outdoor bike. The chain requires the same maintenance as the one on an outdoor bike like for example tightening and lubricating it every month.
- Resistance. Thanks to the 31-pound flywheel and high inertia this spin bike gives almost infinite resistance levels. To change the level of resistance (increase or decrease) all you need to do is to turn the knob slightly.
- Sturdiness. This bike is made from heavy steel to make sure it is steady when working out. The handlebars and seat are also secured in tightly to prevent the bike from wobbling when spinning. In case, you have an uneven surface the bike has adjustable rear leveling feet to counteract this so that there is no rocking when cycling.
- Adjustability. Besides from the adjustable resistance Schwinn IC2 Indoor Cycling Exercise Bike also allows you to adjust the seat position and the handlebars for maximum comfort when exercising.
- Warranty. Just like most spin bikes from Schwinn this spin bike comes with a 5-year manufacturer warranty on the bike frame, three months warranty on the wear parts and 1-year warranty on the other parts and electronic.
- The Pedals. It is fitted with toe cup pedals that have an adjustable strap. The cups are designed to fit most shoe sizes.
- Console. The Schwinn IC2 has a simple LCD console that displays basic workout information. Although it only offers basic information, it’s way much better because similar bikes do not have consoles.
When compared to other indoor bikes in the same price range the Schwinn IC2 takes the day thanks to the availability of a console. Although it has a lighter flywheel, this will not interfere with the effectiveness of your workout in any way.
3. Sunny SF-B1110
The Sunny SF-B1110 Indoor Cycling Bike is an affordable and fully adjustable spin bike that comes fitted with many features to make your workouts more productive. This bike is very solid and is fitted with a sensitive brake pad resistance system.
The SF-B1110 is an improvement of the popular SF-B1001 and SF-B1002. One of the most notable changes is the heavier flywheel. In fact, the flywheel in SF-B1110 is 14 pounds heavier than its predecessor.
Besides from this the manufacturer has also made it easier to use and more portable thanks to the transportation wheels that come with the bike.
The biggest advantage and perhaps also what most people will like most about the SF-B1110 is that it is smooth and quieter when in operation.
Although Sunny manufactures different types of spin bikes, this bike is definitely among their best bikes.
- Flywheel. The Sunny SF-B1110 is fitted with a 44-pound flywheel. This heavy flywheel makes this bike more stable, and so it does not wobble from one side to the other when in use. A heavy flywheel also means that the bike is smoother and quieter.
- Adjustability. Just like most other Sunny bikes the seat and handlebars are adjustable to ensure maximum comfort. Besides from the seat and handlebar the resistance can also be changed manually using a knob.
- Chain Drive Mechanism. Apart from the heavy flywheel the modern chain mechanism that this bike uses will also contribute significantly to making it smooth and quiet.
- Transportation Wheels. With the SF-B1110 portability will never be an issue since it comes with transportation wheels. Whether you want to move it around you home gym or from one house to another, you will have no trouble despite its heavy weight.
- Solid Frame. To make sure that you get to use the bike for a long time it has been manufactured using heavy duty steel. This spin bike is also fitted with a heavy duty crank to ensure maximum durability.
- Pedals. The pedals have standard toe clip cages, and they also have straps to hold your legs in place when spinning the bike.
- Dimensions. Dimensions of this bike are 121 cm in height, 53 cm width and 118 cm length when assembled. The total weight of the bike is 120 kilograms.
The Sunny SF-B1110 Indoor Cycling Bike is a very solid bike that comes with an affordable price tag. In spite of the fact that it lacks a display console it still has everything needed for an effective workout. Although this bike can be used by people of any height, it works better for average height users.
4. Sunny SF-B1001
If you are looking for a reliable but affordable indoor spin bike, then the Sunny SF-B1001 Indoor Cycling Bike is a perfect choice for you.
Sunny has been making indoor spin bikes for many years now, and it the company has established itself as an industry leader with quality and affordability being its main pillars.
The B1001 keeps up with this trend thanks to its low-impact workout and a steel skeleton that will last for a very long time. Whether you need an indoor spin bike to supplement your outdoor biking session, or you want to shed some excess fats and keep in shape, the B1001 is an ideal choice for you.
- Adjustability. Sunny SF-B1001 comes fitted with adjustable resistance that is adjusted using a knob. The seat and handlebars are also fully adjustable.
- Chain Drive Mechanism. This bike uses a chain drive mechanism and hence ensuring you get a smooth and quiet workout.
- Steel Frame. The steel frame makes the B1001 very solid and durable. This frame and the heavy flywheel also make it very stable and so the bike will not sway during workouts.
- Toe Strap Pedal. The toe strap pedals help to keep your feet in place when exercising ensuring that you can comfortably spin the bike at any speed. Besides from comfort toe straps also help to prevent accidents during workouts.
- Efficient Braking System. SF-B1001 is fitted with top press down brakes that are very efficient and so braking will never be an issue when spinning this bike.
- Bottle Holder. Comes fitted with a metal bottle holder that will ensure you do not have to take regular water brakes. The fact that the bottle holder is made from metal also means that it will not get easily damaged like plastic holders.
- Transportation Wheels. Spin bikes are quite heavy, and so they can be problematic to move around from one place to the other. However, this should not be an issue with this Sunny bike as it comes with transportation wheels for portability.
- 30-pound Flywheel. The heavy flywheel will even out the pedaling motion for a comfortable and smooth ride.
The Sunny SF-B1001 Indoor Cycling Bike is a solid and skillfully designed spin bike making it perfect for your indoor training. Although it has a few drawbacks, it will serve you efficiently, and it is very difficult to find any spin bike without a drawback especially at this price tag.
5. Sole Fitness SB700 – Best Spin Bikes for Commercial & Home Use
When buying an indoor spin bike, there is always a feeling that it will not match the performance that you get from an outdoor bike.
However, the thousands of people that have bought the Sole Fitness SB700 Exercise Bike have a very different impression.
This bike has been designed for both commercial and home use, and it is the closest thing to an outdoor bike that you will ever get when buying a spin bike.
Although this bike model is not the most affordable, it has many excellent features that make it worth every coin spent on it.
This is one of the best-selling bikes currently on the market, and it is a favorite for those that value their workouts and those that prefer high quality, durable bikes.
- Weight. SB700 weighs 140 pounds and it can take a maximum weight of 300 pounds. It is also fitted with a flywheel that weighs 48 pounds.
- Resistance. The Sole Fitness SB700 Exercise bike allows you to choose different resistance levels for maximum effectiveness in your exercises. This can be done using a tension control knob fitted on the bike.
- Seat and Handlebars. Most customers consider the handles and the seat when shopping for spin bikes, and so this one does not disappoint. The bike comes with a set and handlebars that can be adjusted both vertically and horizontally.
- Pedals. The pedals are big and wide enough to fit any leg size comfortably. They also have straps to hold the legs in place when working in out.
- Bottle Holders. To make sure that you do not interrupt your exercise for a water break this bike comes fitted with two water bottles.
- Another great feature that will make most customers happy is the wireless heart rate monitor.
The Sole Fitness SB700 Exercise bike is probably not the most affordable spin bike in the market but if you are serious about exercising indoors it is worth the investment. Although this bike has a few shortcomings its advantages outweigh the disadvantages by far.
6. Sunny SF-B1002
Sunny has been in business for many years, and it has established itself as an industry leader in the manufacture of indoor spin bikes. However, out of the various bikes brands that the company has produced over the years, the Sunny SF-B1002 is perhaps the most popular judging from the number of sales.
What makes this mid-priced bike special are the many features that it comes with, and they will ensure that you bring the gym closer to you.
This spin bike is the same one found in many gyms and what will probably impress you is that it makes you feel like you are riding a real bike.
Besides from giving you an excellent cardiovascular workout this bike is also very enjoyable to spin, and it has a nice finishing that gives it an attractive look.
- Belt Drive. This feature is what makes this spin bike to top its range. For a smoother and quieter turn, this bike comes with an upgraded Belt Drive.
- Solid Steel Frame. Sunny has been in business for long enough to understand the frustrations that come with a damaged spin bike frame especially if it is relatively new. To make sure that you never have to go through this they have fitted this indoor training bike with a solid steel frame. Add this to the 49-pound Flywheel and you have yourself one of the most durable spin bikes currently available in the market.
- Easy Mobility. This bike is massive and so to make sure that you can easily move it from the office or gym it comes with transportation wheels.
- Fully Adjustable Handlebar and Seat. The fully adjustable seat and handlebar are meant to ensure that you can spin the bike from a position that is comfortable for your height and body size.
- Variable Resistance. This bike just like most others will allow you to vary the resistance, but the only shortcoming is that it can only be done manually.
With all things considered the Sunny SF-B1002 with its attractive look and noteworthy features is an excellent option for anyone looking for a reliable spin bike. Undoubtedly this bike offers more quality than most if not all the bikes in the same range and those cheaper than it or in a lower range.
7. Sunny SF-B901 Pro
The Sunny SF-B901 Pro is an affordable and practical indoor exercise bike. This bike is suitable for anyone whether you are a beginner or a seasoned indoor biker or enthusiast.
Whether you are looking for something to help you get into shape or something to complement your other exercises this bike is good enough for you.
Although it has been overshadowed by other fancier spinning bikes and indoor cycles this bike is ideal for any person who wants something reliable on a tight budget.
The bike might not have the computer features and other luxuries that are characteristic of the more expensive bikes, but it has everything that you will need for better fitness.
- Adjustable Seat and Handlebars. This bike comes with a lightly padded adjustable seat to ensure maximum comfort during workouts. The handlebars on the hand are thickly-padded and can be adjusted horizontally.
- Adjustable Resistance. To make sure that one can be able to control the tempo of their workout the resistance is adjustable using a small knob on the bike.
- Steel Frame. The steel frame will not only ensure that the bike will serve you for long but also means that it can take more weight as steel is a solid material.
- 40-pound Flywheel. This bike comes with a 40-pound flywheel that is fitted with a chain drive. The bike also has heavy duty crank for increased durability.
- Transport Wheels. Moving the back around in a gym is also made possible by the transport wheels that are included in the box.
- Warranty. The Sunny SF-B901 Pro comes with a one-year warranty on the frame of the bike and a 90-day warranty on the parts.
In spite of the few disadvantages, the Sunny SF-B901 Pro is a great spinning bike. For those who want a reliable spin bike and do not have much to spend on it, this will be a good bike for them. In fact, the affordable price will make up for the few drawbacks that the bike might be faced with.
What to Look for In a Spin Bike?
Spin bikes are becoming a favorite tool for working out. It is easy to confuse between an exercise bike and a spin bike. However, the specifications of the two are entirely different.
Unlike an exercise bike, a spinning bike features some alternative peddling, handle bar and seating positions. To top it up, spinning bikes are ergonomically designed to provide comfort and decrease injury.
A spin bike is a full body workout machine that is found in almost every gym. However, with the ever-increasing prices of gym fees, it might be an excellent idea to invest on your own.
Some of the things you should consider when buying your spin bike include:
Weight of the Flywheel
The wheel is found right in front of the spin bike. As you pedal the bike, the flywheel continually moves which replicates the forward momentum in a regular bike. If you want a smooth spinning motion to go for a heavier flywheel.
I would recommend a flywheel weight that ranges from 20-22 kilograms. Never go for one that is less than 16 kg. Even the average indoor bike carries a weight of 18 kgs.
Type of Console
A console is a feature that allows you to get the necessary information during work outs. There are some that have been designed to show your heart rate during workouts.
With current technological advancement what separates excellent spinning bikes from mediocre ones is a computer display.
The display of equipment interface is a feature that enables one to check some calories burnt during work outs. You can also view your pedaling RPMs and exact distance covered.
There are various brands which feature a unique computer display. The display you to see how you are performing.
Type of Resistance
It is important first to understand that there are different kinds of resistance. These include; physical screw strength, cable resistance, and magnetic resistance.
My best spin bikes 2018 choice is usually the magnetic resistance because it is efficient. This type of resistance does not shudder or jerk during the change. The resistance only levels on the bike and works very silently.
Cable resistance is often applied in indoor budget bikes. This type of system offers resistance well enough. However, it is prone to breaking and snapping during use. For this reason, I don’t recommend it at all.
The manual screw resistance bikes offer average or mid-level resistance while under use. This system is more reliable than the cable resistance system. However, the bike does not give you any information about how much resistance you are getting.
The Braking System
There are three major types of braking systems. These include the fabric pad, leather pad as well as magnetic braking. The leather pads are more durable than the fabric ones.
As such, they are a better choice of braking system. However, the magnetic braking system is silent. This makes it comfortable to working with. I recommend the magnetic braking system when choosing a spinning bike.
Things to Consider when Buying a Spin Bike
Several factors need to be considered when purchasing your very own spin bike.
The Framework and Design
The first and the most important one are the framework and design. This can significantly impact the performance of your bike, as well as your performance in your workout. The standard and advanced features of the bike will affect the overall performance and quality.
A spin bike should match your needs. You will say that it can if you know how these designs and features can aid you in your workout. You need to understand what kind or resistance the bike has, whether it’s a belt-driven model or a chain drive.
You also need to know the bike’s flywheel weight.
You also need to consider comfort as a factor in choosing the best spin bikes to buy. Just because you are supposed to sweat, does not mean that your comfort is not a consideration.
Check if the bike’s seats and pedals match with how you work out, and how long your workouts last. Exercising may need you to put in your best effort. It certainly does not mean you should get hurt in the process.
The price is also something that affects your purchase. Surely there is a certain budget that you are planning to spend for your indoor bike. Stick with it for the right reasons.
If you feel that you need to add more to the budget that you’ve set to meet your cardio needs, then it may be wise to do so. For obvious reasons, spin bikes that fall into a higher price range can offer more benefits when it comes to performance.
You’re One Step Closer
This entire article serves as your spin bike buying guide. In conclusion, you need to be able to do enough research on the best spin bikes 2018 available online to help you make a smart purchase.
You also need to know what features you should look for when buying a bike.
This is, of course, dependent on what your fitness goals are. This means that before the purchase of a bike, you need to consult your gym or fitness trainer on these aims. There are ways for you test a spin bike. Most stores would allow you to test them.